The Tanzania Ports Authority (TPA) was established by the Ports Act No. 17 of 2004 as landlord port authority. It operates a system of ports serving the Tanzania hinterland and the land-linked countries of Zambia, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Burundi, Rwanda, Malawi, Uganda and Zimbabwe.
The Authority performs the role of landlord and operator with the main functions of promoting the use, development and management of the ports and their hinterlands, entering contracts for the purpose of delegating the powers of the Authority through licensing and concessions for port services.
The TPA manages a diverse system of sea and inland waterways on Tanzania's Mainland. Dar es Salaam, Tanga, and Mtwara are the major seaports; Kilwa, Lindi, Mafia, Pangani, and Bagamoyo are the smaller seaports; and Lake Victoria, Tanganyika, and Nyasa are the lake ports.
- To establish and coordinate system of Harbours.
- To provide facilities relating to Harbours and provide harbour services.
- With the approval of the Minister, to construct and operate new Harbours.
- To construct, operate and maintain beacons and other navigational aids.
- To carry on the business of stevedore, wharf age or lighter man.
- To act as a warehouseman to store goods, whether or not the goods have been or are to be, handled as cargo or carried by the Authority.
- To consign goods on behalf of the other persons to any place either within or outside the United Republic.
- With the approval of the Minister, to act as carriers of goods or passengers by land or sea.
- To provide amenities or facilities that the Authority considers necessary or desirable for persons making use of the facilities or services.
To lead the regional maritime trade and logistics services to excellence.
To Develop and manage ports that provide world class Maritime Services and promote excelling total logistics services in Eastern Central and Southern Africa.
In order to be competitive, the Authority needs to be guided by a code of conduct which fosters Integrity, Professionalism, Team-work, Stakeholders Focus, Accountability and Transparency.